Play helps kids heal and cope with being in the hospital. We welcome donations of new toys at the holidays and all year round. Please read the guidelines below carefully to ensure your gifts meet our patients’ needs.
NOTE: We receive fewer donations of infant and teen items so assistance in this area is greatly appreciated!
READ OUR TOY GUIDELINES
We cannot accept:
- Oversized toys such as bikes, giant teddy bears, ride-on vehicles, large dollhouses, etc.
- Used items
- Gift wrapped items (even for the holidays)
- Glass, ceramics, or other breakables
- Flowers or live plants
- Any items that promote violent and aggressive behavior, including video games
- Items with religious themes
- VHS tapes and DVDs
- Toy collections or collectibles, even if they have been well-preserved
- Food items, including baking sets
Some of our all-time favorite items:
- Coloring books for all ages and interests
- Crayons, markers, and colored pencils
- Medical play kits
- Dolls (storybook characters, action figures)
- Kits for art/education
- Self-care and cosmetic kits (age-appropriate, no heavily scented products)
- Tabletop games and cards of all kinds
- Bay Area sports team swag
- Video games for Nintendo Switch only
- Books for all ages and interests
- Infants (0-2 years): rattles and mirrors
- Toddlers (3-5 years): musical/light up/pop up toys
- Teens (12-18 years): tabletop games and advanced craft kits
Please note, you will not be able to deliver your gifts to patients directly nor can we provide photos of toys in use. Unfortunately we are unable to pick up any donations.
If items don’t fall within our guidelines or are unsafe/inappropriate for our patients, we reserve the right to redirect them.
Gift cards allow our staff to buy the items that patients need and even let families enjoy shopping for themselves! Our top choices are Amazon, Target, and Walmart in increments of $10-25, and gas or grocery gift cards can also be a terrific source of support.
Making kits to provide comfort and entertainment for patients and families is a rewarding project! Get a group together to multiply your impact and have fun for a good cause.
There are many ways to help the hospital! Some common inquiries are covered below and you can reach out to [email protected] with any questions that are not covered here.
Information on Miscellaneous Items
Breast milk: We are unable to accept donated breast milk. Please consider Mother's Milk.
Clothing donations: We have a limited need but can sometimes accept donations of brand-new clothes for our Social Services department. Email [email protected] for more information.
Entertainment or educational experiences: We are currently hosting virtual visits for the safety of our patients. Reach out to Child Life Special Events Coordinator Elyse Cann at [email protected] for more information.
Food donations: We accept individually packaged, shelf stable snacks for parents to stock our family resource centers. Email [email protected] for more information.
Hair: We are unable to accept donated hair. Please consider Locks of Love.
Handmade items: We are unable to accept handmade caps and clothing. We do have a limited need for handmade blankets so please email [email protected] for more info.
Medical equipment and supplies: We cannot accept used items under any circumstances, but can sometimes take brand-new items. Email [email protected] for more information.
How Do I Deliver My Donation?
Purchase items from our Amazon wish list and Amazon will ship the items directly to our hospitals.
Email [email protected] for details on delivery of gift cards and care kits.
We are happy to work with corporate partners and community groups such as scouts, school programs, churches, etc. to facilitate projects that are based on the needs outlined on this page. Email [email protected] with your proposal.
If you would like to donate a large number of meals, products, or services for our hard-working hospital teams, please reach out to Assistant Director of Corporate Partnerships, Abdur Shemsu at [email protected].
If your company would like to support our hospital with donated goods or learn about other opportunities, please email Director of Corporate Partnerships Anthony Candito at [email protected].